Translate

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Post, the fourth -- Appleton, WI. In Living Color.

"no parking"

our third project was inspired by Robert Frank and his book The Americans and a Bob Dylan lyric from Ballad of a Thin Man: "something is happening here and you don't know what it is, do you, Mister Jones".

my approach to this project was simple; i stood on the side of the street, set my camera up on a tripod, put in my ear buds, started a timer, and took a photo every 5 seconds for 3 minutes from 6 different viewpoints.

i ended up with 218 photos and from those, had to choose 20.

the images were pretty monotonous, so i basically ended up picking the ones with the cars i liked the best (and i don't really care about cars).

this is my commentary on  Appleton, WI.

call me Mister Jones, but i don't think very much happens here.

or maybe this is one of those places that people just move through.

maybe Appleton is just a place that people drive through on the way to their lives, or maybe it's a place where they walk their dogs.

maybe that's what's happening.

maybe Appleton is like adolescence and you just have to go through it to get to something better.

it's really not as bad as i'm probably making it sound; i've just been getting restless these past few years.

i used to live in a town like this, smaller than this actually, and i loved it, but that was a long 12 years ago.

this is home to some people.

this is comfortable to some people.

this is Appleton, WI.

this is what some people want.

just not me, not anymore.

you can click here to see the full Appleton, WI.  In Living Color.  album on flickr!


love

2 comments:

  1. I really like your take on this project! I feel similarly about the transient nature of Appleton, and I am always curious to find out what draws people to permanently live here. I think the speed and movement in your photography captures the idea of short-lived/temporary living in one place/space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this photo series! Appleton can feel a bit out of place and it has a weird vibe. I really think the black and white contrasts give it a somber feel. Thought these were excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete