Translate

Monday, October 26, 2015

Post, the sixth -- a day with my boy

a one minute soundscape.

sounds like it should be fairly simple; it's not.

sound is not my thing.

i can't play any instruments; i can't tell instruments apart in songs (i'm pretty sure there's no difference between drums and bass); i listen to lyrics because i don't understand the rest.

needless to say, i had no idea how to start this project.

i had no idea where to go with it after i started it.

i have no idea what to think of it now that it's finished.

so, i did the only thing that came to mind; i took my camera out to the stable over my weekend at home.

i set it up in Boomer's stall while i was grooming him and let it capture sounds that are very common and fun and comforting to me and i called it, a day with my boy.

in it you can hear breathing, brushing, chewing, walking.

horses are pretty magnificent creatures.

they're gentle.

they're caring.

they're kind.

it was difficult for me to put this together because i associate these sounds with images and emotions and i'm not sure how well i was able to separate the two in my mind to make a successful end product.



i guess that these are some of the sounds that help me get by on some days.

time i get to spend with Boomer is really special.

i treasure it, because let's be honest, i'm a little busier and have a few more responsibilities now than i did when i was 9.

i suppose that this is a kind of tribute, a thank you to him for all the help he's given me over the years.

i hope it makes you as happy as it makes me.

(hardest project so far, for sure)



love

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this piece. It really gave me the feel as if I was in the barn. I worked with horses a bit this past summer at a YMCA summer camp that I've been going to for years. Made me a little nostalgic :'(. Nice job!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how sentimental this piece is. I have never groomed (or even ridden) a horse, so hearing these sounds was pretty new to me. However, the sounds drew me in and had me imagining that there was a horse nearby (^kind of what Patrick stated above). I think you were very successful in conveying your emotions through these sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sound piece, it was so nice to hear and listen to the moment that I can only imagine are one of your happiest. I felt like I was able to experience the moment that you had with your horse. It is great that you bought the listener into that space that must have been so personal between you and your horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the molly love that we've had going on these last few projects :P

      Delete